AV Geeks
Five amigos once thrown together in Hippieville...
Now, we're fighting evil in the desert, on the prairie and in the city.
Sure, we're the glorified AV geeks of local news... but we're much much cooler.

Thursday, April 26, 2007

What's up from PDX

So, im here, in Portland. It's a lot like Eugene, except the hippies here wear ALF (animal liberation front) t-shirts and threaten to blow things up. And it's bigger. The station is cool, right downtown in the "KOIN TOWER." OK, it sounds cool, but it's not really the tv station's tower. Some developer owns it and leases the basement to KOIN. The basement! No windows=cranky producers!!!

Some things are very different here.

Case in point: equipment. I have my own stuff and it WORKS!




not like back at sleazi!





This is how I would find my gear at sleazi. Piled up in the back of my rig, tripod just thrown in, camera backwards (didn't know that was even possible), and usually still on!

But I digress...

My day is very different here. I wake up alone (still getting used to that), and nearly trip over my camera



and make up some granola while checking the internet.



Checking for what you might ask???



TRAFFIC!!!



IT SUCKS!



...at least it did when I was rolling in at 9am. My new 10am schedule rocks. Now the a.m. drive is mellow.





Located 20 feet below SW 3rd st. is this.


The KOIN cave!



We've even got a security guard keeping an eye on the live trucks. The homie was here when I arrived.

So was this homie!



I've only ran into MHU once, but we're planning on going to get beers with Tad tomorrow night. I've seen Tad out at least three times, and i also met the mysterious Michael R. Brandenburger. He had a wall with him, and he was treating it like a red headed stepchild.

Speaking of getting punished:



This was taken outside a torture chamber! Does yoga in 105 degree heat sound like fun to you? Well shooting a story in said heat is a hell of a lot less fun! Especially when the photog is wearing jeans.

So that's it for now. Maybe I'll take my little camera out on stories soon. It's tough remebering to look up and live AND bring the camera!

6 Comments:

  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Mr KR said…

    Welcome back, borracho.

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thats great. I moved up a 100 markets and my equipment is worse. everything that is mine is broken. camera, tripod, car, towers etc. at least thats what it was before i left for NYC.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Mr KR said…

    i'm sure you could drive up to eugene and steal camera 8 and your Ford Escape. I doubt anyone would notice it's missing. And...just so you know...your tripod has a brand new plate ya' fucking whiner. Would that have happened at SLEAZY?

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow thanks, I like how we deal with our dirty laundry over other peoples post. I want your equinox though. Ask mw about spinning out on the on ramp in unit for last saturday when you see me

     
  • At 8:06 AM, Blogger El Borracho said…

    Get a room you two!
    And MHU says, "Sup dude" to all.

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Blogger Dusty Bottoms said…

    OK WHINNER! You want to talk about traffic. Traffic here is constant, 24 hours. It takes me 30 minutes to drive to work everyday. Oh did you mention something about HEAT? Yeah over 100 degrees is hot. Try sitting in a live truck all day, can't turn on the A/C or the generator will die, shooting your story and three live shots without water(because you drank all 3 gallons by noon), oh and it is 130 degrees everyday....for months.

    Welcome back

     

Post a Comment

<< Home