AV Geeks
Five amigos once thrown together in Hippieville...
Now, we're fighting evil in the desert, on the prairie and in the city.
Sure, we're the glorified AV geeks of local news... but we're much much cooler.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hectic? Nah...

So, boys, anything exciting going on?
Nothing to crazy here...
You know, just a heavily traveled bridge collapsing at the height of rush hour.
Same old, same old.

You know a situation is bad when the assignment desk starts mapping things...

IMG_0525.JPG

and when it's 3AM and there are this many people on the desk...

IMG_0528.JPG

The guy in the ball cap - He runs the desk. He worked all day Wednesday. Went home, heard about the event, came back and stayed... All night. This picture was taken at 3AM. I left, came back at 11 and he was still there in the same clothes. I don't think he left until 1 or 2.

Wednesday night, I came in and worked 7 hours. I went with the new guy - it was his first day reporting - down to the Holiday Inn where families of the missing were meeting. There were only a few news crews there. (That's me behind the camera)

IMG_0536.JPG
*credit Star Tribune

Oh wait, EVERYONE was there. All the locals, all the nationals, even the freakin' NY times. Ridiculous.

I think we were on the air 6 hours straight on Wednesday night. Thursday morning we started at 5 and went straight until noon, I believe. Most of the stations did the same. This is a monitor shot from Thursday about 11AM. One of these things is not like the other...

IMG_0530.JPG

Though I do hear Martha has an interesting perspective on bridge engineering.

A lot more happened in the following days. But I'm just going to leave you hanging.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:17 PM, Blogger Mr KR said…

    Who the F was running martha stewart! Sorry for the harsh letters there, but seriously!

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Dusty Bottoms said…

    I like the hi-tech assignment map. The best part is the bridge having X's over it. Nope not there anymore. What do you mean? Well look for yourself. It is all X'ed out.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger El Borracho said…

    Bridge collapse watch 2007:

    In PDX we're 0 for 16, 7 days in a row!

    Now... weather!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home