AV Geeks
Five amigos once thrown together in Hippieville...
Now, we're fighting evil in the desert, on the prairie and in the city.
Sure, we're the glorified AV geeks of local news... but we're much much cooler.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

NEW EDITORS

Welcome to the SHOW! Here is quick look at the station's brand new HD Editors. Part of the phase two of our HD conversion. Now we are shooting, editing, live shot-ing, and of course broadcasting in total HD. These machines are powerful!



We got brand new servers to support the all the HD video. All of our daily raw video is saved for seven days, plus all of our archives will now be saved to its very own SUPER HUGE server, with instant access to all our past stories. Beats the hell out of the SLEEZY method



The editing is fairly simple. It's called Edius and it works much like Avid. You got the dual screens, keyboard short-cuts, bins, and effects palettes.



My clips are downloaded from my XD disk file transfer style. It takes like four minutes for about 30 minutes of video. Some guys think it is too slow. I love it! I don't think they know how to use it correctly. It is so easy too. Just set it all up, click download, walk away for about ten minutes, get a snack, and BOOM...time to start editing.



Then editing is super simple. Basic timeline with multiple tracks to mess with. Some of the guys think it is two complicated, but I like it, except for the audio. It's hard to explain, but there is no easy quick way to adjust audio. I also think most don't shoot like me. I'm very technical, I set up each shot and then hit record. Most just start rolling and then keep shooting without stopping. Very messy.



Also we got new flatscreen HD montiors, these babies are awesome. The slightest variation of focus length will show up like giant adult store billboard along I-5 in Oregon. The other day I was interviewing a doctor and I zoomed in to get my focus, pulled back out to fix my shot, and then during the interview he would lean forward a bit as he talked to my reporter. In my viewfinder it looked fine, BUT back at the station, it was clearly noticable how much out of focus he was. At first I thought my back focus was off, but as I watched the interview I notice he would come in focus whenever he sat back into his seat.

All said I think that these new editors are going to be great as soon as we all get used to the new ways of doing things.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Mr KR said…

    fuck all that crap...i'm going back to 3/4 inch.

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger El Borracho said…

    8mm bitches! That's what KOIN shoots on!

    And shadow puppets for graphics!

     
  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    PAINTING ON WALLS!!! THATS THE FUTURE.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Mr KR said…

    Screw it all! We're going to start broadcasting news by grunting and banging two rocks together!

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Blogger El Borracho said…

    Flinging poo and pissing on places we've been... oh wait that was KEZI.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home