Epic
Inspired by Borracho's long posts, I'm going to treat you amigos to my own blog epic in honor of two days of overnights. That's right, the overnight guy goes on vacation and I, being the least senior photog, get to cover for him. By the way, I've basically been awake for 24 hours straight, so bear with me.
Sunday, after only sleeping 3 hours, I woke up and headed downtown.

I started work at 11:30 pm. Overnights, the way I know how to do it, mainly involves me, sitting at the assignment desk, playing mindless computer games because there is no other way I can focus on the scanners. (I don't have a picture of this... It's WAY to boring.) Early, early Monday morning... around 1 or 2... I got sent to shoot gas price video. I can't even avoid gas prices on overnights.
My trusty iPod,

the intruder,

and I hopped in the car. One thing I love about working in a big market is this: Being sent to get gas prices doesn't mean simply driving down to the corner. I was specifically sent across town and up north to a gas station about 15 minutes away. Since I like driving and had nothing else to do (quiet night), I loved it. Besides, no one is on the road at this time. Sweet.

After I shot the prices, got lost going back to the station, and ate my breakfast, the morning show EP sent me off to Buffalo. Not only is Buffalo a city in New York - the home of the Sabres - but it's also a small town northwest of the cities. Two semi trucks loaded with bees were to arrive at an apple orchard at about 5 am. After getting lost again, this time in the dark on unmarked gravel roads, I got there at 4:45 am. The bees got there at 8:30. Mind you, my shift ended at 7:30, but hey, who's counting. Other than the fact that I was pretty tired, it was actually quite fun. If I hadn't have gone, I might have never gotten to go all "Corky" and put on one of these.

Now that's cool. I only got stung once, and got 3.5 hours of OT, so it wasn't that bad.
Monday night, I again headed to the station. From 11:30 to 3:30, I killed time at the desk. It was quiet. Now, I know my scanner skills are a bit lacking, but even I can tell when it's quiet. This was really quiet, and subsequently quite underwhelming. Though I'm getting pretty good at Text Twist.
This morning I got the cushy job of plaza cam. 2 hours outside. Only 4 shots with the weather guy. Plus a handful of bump shots. This is a great post.

I had a good time playing with my new toy...

Wide, baby!

Okay, so it's not mine to keep. My buddy is on vacation for two weeks and he owed me, so I get to play. It's great. I've always wanted one.
And I like our plaza... Nice view of downtown, big screen... It's a good spot for the morning. There is a slight problem with the light source in the afternoon - that light being the sun, but I won't get into that now.

Now it's my weekend and I'm glad that I was blessed with only two nights of Overnight. It's currently after 10 pm Tuesday and I've been up since 10 pm Monday... I'm ready to nap. Oh, check out a cool story I did. It aired on a Sunday night sports show. I also did a nat pack that aired on Monday, but it's not on the site. So too bad.
Sunday, after only sleeping 3 hours, I woke up and headed downtown.

I started work at 11:30 pm. Overnights, the way I know how to do it, mainly involves me, sitting at the assignment desk, playing mindless computer games because there is no other way I can focus on the scanners. (I don't have a picture of this... It's WAY to boring.) Early, early Monday morning... around 1 or 2... I got sent to shoot gas price video. I can't even avoid gas prices on overnights.
My trusty iPod,

the intruder,

and I hopped in the car. One thing I love about working in a big market is this: Being sent to get gas prices doesn't mean simply driving down to the corner. I was specifically sent across town and up north to a gas station about 15 minutes away. Since I like driving and had nothing else to do (quiet night), I loved it. Besides, no one is on the road at this time. Sweet.

After I shot the prices, got lost going back to the station, and ate my breakfast, the morning show EP sent me off to Buffalo. Not only is Buffalo a city in New York - the home of the Sabres - but it's also a small town northwest of the cities. Two semi trucks loaded with bees were to arrive at an apple orchard at about 5 am. After getting lost again, this time in the dark on unmarked gravel roads, I got there at 4:45 am. The bees got there at 8:30. Mind you, my shift ended at 7:30, but hey, who's counting. Other than the fact that I was pretty tired, it was actually quite fun. If I hadn't have gone, I might have never gotten to go all "Corky" and put on one of these.

Now that's cool. I only got stung once, and got 3.5 hours of OT, so it wasn't that bad.
Monday night, I again headed to the station. From 11:30 to 3:30, I killed time at the desk. It was quiet. Now, I know my scanner skills are a bit lacking, but even I can tell when it's quiet. This was really quiet, and subsequently quite underwhelming. Though I'm getting pretty good at Text Twist.
This morning I got the cushy job of plaza cam. 2 hours outside. Only 4 shots with the weather guy. Plus a handful of bump shots. This is a great post.

I had a good time playing with my new toy...

Wide, baby!

Okay, so it's not mine to keep. My buddy is on vacation for two weeks and he owed me, so I get to play. It's great. I've always wanted one.
And I like our plaza... Nice view of downtown, big screen... It's a good spot for the morning. There is a slight problem with the light source in the afternoon - that light being the sun, but I won't get into that now.

Now it's my weekend and I'm glad that I was blessed with only two nights of Overnight. It's currently after 10 pm Tuesday and I've been up since 10 pm Monday... I'm ready to nap. Oh, check out a cool story I did. It aired on a Sunday night sports show. I also did a nat pack that aired on Monday, but it's not on the site. So too bad.

2 Comments:
At 9:10 PM,
Mr KR said…
I shot some bee video the other day...I didn't get to wear a whimp suit. I got stung zero times. Bees and I have an understanding.
At 7:41 AM,
Dusty Bottoms said…
Wide angle lens are for slackers, HD is were it's at
Post a Comment
<< Home